Monday, November 21, 2016

Watching yourself speak is fun...



Watching yourself speak is fun...


I was nervous about the journal club presentation because it involved speaking. In front of people. Not cool. 
But I liked my article, I felt reasonably prepared, and the 20.109 faculty and students are about the least threatening group of people I could hope for. And I could focus on the snacks. That helped too. I was nervous, but soooo much less nervous than I often am. 
So I thought it went pretty well. I more or less remembered what I wanted to say, I enjoyed answering questions, and I tried jalapeƱo brittle. An overall positive experience. 
And then I watched the video with Noreen. 
It wasn’t horrible. I was pretty ok with how I did. But I was still kinda disappointed. Cause even though I didn’t remember feeling overly nervous (maybe I just blocked out those memories as a form of post-trauma coping?), I sounded really nervous.


I suppose that means I needed to watch the video.


Sean mentioned some tips for projection in our last Communication Lab, so maybe I’ll look more into that for next time. And also practice more in front of people…


Despite my lack of love for public speaking, I really enjoyed the Journal Club Presentation. Speaking is something I want to improve on, so practice is good no matter how much I grumble. And it was pretty fun to hear everyone else's presentations. Everyone did a very nice job and it was an interesting way to learn some new information.  

May phage batteries light my way. Research Proposal, here I come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment