Monday, October 24, 2016

[Insert Witty Mod 1 Title Here]

Hey friends,

This assignment makes me feel so much nostalgia. I always told myself I'd have a blog or contribute to a blog. I've tried on several occasions, but never stuck with it. It's hard! It's like writing an open letter each week (or at whichever frequency you choose) and giving the world an open window to your mind. I don't know about you, but that is a little scary.

Anyways, I digress. I will walk you through my thought process (or what I can recall of it) through each day and assignment in Module 1. I will finish up with some overall thoughts and reflections on the way this module went. I am writing this before I write the actual content, so I will do my best to be brief and not take too much of your time.

Here goes nothing!

M1D1: Yes, here we go! We get to do science! Alright, gotta make sure I do all of my readings and set up my notebook on Benchling... Am I doing this right? Probably not. Crap, I hope they don't grade this tomorrow. Do they check these at the end of each day? It's going to be difficult to keep up with this while sciencing...

Okay... I already know I don't want to finish that for everyday. I'll skip to my general thoughts on the Module:

It felt like this one moved very quickly. I felt sort of lost at the beginning of each lab section, whether or not I read the Wiki before class. Once I was able to really get into the work, things started to piece together, but it often felt like catching up. I think it often felt like a race to get through the day's assignment when it really shouldn't have.

I did really enjoy working with the CometChip. This was a nice bit of exposure to up-and-coming technology. It provided a reference point for anything one of us may hope to someday invent that would make sciencing even easier. Using the somewhat janky binder clips and glass slides to put our CometChip together made it fun and reminded us that innovation has to start somewhere and you don't always need the fanciest tech to make or do something great.

Some of the experiments, I wish we had more time or materials to commit to them. Especially the one with Coriell cells. We did not have enough replicates of the various conditions and it made looking for statistical significance in our data very difficult.

Especially towards the end with the Data Summary Revision and the early assignments for Module 2, things started to feel piled on. It became hard to keep up with what assignments were due when and determining how to prioritize.

Overall, I feel like I've gained great exposure to the types of things I would have to do if I were to work in a lab. I feel a bit more prepared for the Research Article from doing the Data Summary, and the Mini Presentation was great practice for an elevator pitch.

It's been fun, Mod 1!

(BE)st,

Jasmin


No comments:

Post a Comment