Monday, November 21, 2016

help i dont know how to science (a train of thought reflection of mod2 and my life)

Oh god what even happened in this module. Due to poor time management skills and involuntary stress sleeping, I elected to submit my report one day late (it's only one third of a letter grade, right D:) so I could submit a late, "well-written" report rather than an on-time report that was thrown together last minute but once again, I underestimated how much time this was going to take (im writing this blog post to procrastinate the thing i was supposed to finish before writing this blog post ahahaha should i be confessing this where noreen can read it? probably not. too late.) especially because NOTHING WORKED. We literally got negative lactate. I don't know either. But alas, such is "real" science and now I understand why my UROP grad student would work in lab until 11PM basically every day last semester, choosing the lab life over her poor dog who was left all alone at home (at least she successfully graduated so it was all worth it in the end?).

The material we needed to know for this module started out fine, became not fine, and ended up in a state of "do I know this? Why do I not know if I know this? I think maybe I might know this. What is happening?" which isn't much different from my normal state of being anyway. I think every time a lecturer starts talking in strings of letters, my brain decides to go to sleep even though my eyes are fully open.

Overall the labs felt very rushed even though we stayed after 5pm on >1 occasions, which just goes to show how time consuming science really is. I think in order to fully appreciate and have a deep understanding of the science behind everything we did, we would need to work solely on this module for the entire semester, which just isn't plausible. But at least I can tell my biologist parents that I've worked with CRISPR now, so at least I have that going for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment