Monday, November 21, 2016

On CRISPRi, public speaking and fdr...

Although the experimental part of Mod2 was shorter than the one for the first module, I really enjoyed learning about cutting edge technologies such as CRISPR and the different variants it has. The idea of being able to specifically target and inhibit or activate particular genes in order to manipulate metabolism, and use a cell’s innate abilities to produce something we want is incredible.


I enjoyed hearing about current research being done in the field during the Journal Club presentations. It was great to see the extent of the impact this research has, and the innovative ways of using new technologies scientists and engineers come up with. Presenting wasn’t all that fun, since I am definitely not a fan of public speaking, but hearing the papers my lab mates presented was very enlightening, and presenting was a valuable learning experience.

I am also glad for all of the Mod2 homeworks we were assigned throughout the course of the module, since they made the Research Article a little easier to write. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I sort of wish we had more of them, so approaching the final report didn’t seem as daunting or time consuming.


Despite not getting insertion of our frd gene, managing to mess up our standard curve, and getting very small ethanol values that could not be corrected for noise, my overall experience throughout Mod2 was very positive. I feel like I learned useful, current, exciting things about the field and the research being done, as well as the impact it can have in bioengineering and medicine.

-Yvette

PS. If the CRISPR module is taught again in the future, can the teaching staff target the frd gene? I’m still curious as to what the effect of inhibiting the TCA cycle has on ethanol production.


PPS. In case you were wondering.. number of times the following words appeared in my Research Article:
Ethanol-68
Product-67
gRNA-61
CRISPR- 60
Cell-54
Increase-44
Cas9-37

Successful-1

No comments:

Post a Comment