Monday, November 21, 2016

Mini heart-attacks

So Mod 2 was like a roller coaster, it had its ups and downs.

It all started with Journal Club, also known as Judgement Day. One would think it wouldn't be that hard to stand up in front of your classmates and present someone else's paper. We've been together for almost a whole semester already. Also, there are only like 8 people in the W/F section. But there I stood, in front of people I knew pretty well by now, having a tiny little heart attack.



I'm pretty sure I looked super nervous, despite me actually knowing what I was talking about. However, as someone who hates public speaking, I was still terrified. I finally finished and then started the questions. Most of them I took in stride, but then came that one question that I did not know the answer to for the life of me.

I made up something that kind of made sense and that was it! I was done with Journal Club. I didn't die of a stroke and no one hated my presentation (hopefully). That was a success to me since public speaking is one of my greatest fears.


After Journal Club, the next hurdle was the Research Article. I was a little nervous about doing this one by myself, since it was even longer than the Data Summary and I didn't have Yvi helping with the abstract and intro. First up was data analysis. Our standard curve was a mess. There was no way we could extrapolate data from that.

Even using all the other teams' standard curve, our ethanol output was super low, even for the actual experimental +CRISPRi -O2 +aTc condition. This wasn't shocking at this point though, our data never worked.

However, there were some trends in the data that were comparable to Red Team's data (we targeted the same gene), so for once, not all hope was lost. All in all the research article was not as bad as I expected it to be. I finished it about an hour before it was due, and the weight on my shoulders felt a lot lighter.

All in all, Mod 2 was fun. I can't wait to make a battery though. I get how CRISPR is super awesome and all that, but I actually get to see this battery with my own eyes. Yay for bioengineering!

No comments:

Post a Comment