Thursday, December 8, 2016

And While I’m At It…

I suppose a reflection on my 20.109 experience is also due. So why not kill 2 E. coli with one phage?

Where to begin?

I guess with a confession: 20.109 did not go as I expected it to.


No need to panic, though – let me explain. Prior to taking this class, I had already taken one other lab course at MIT: 5.301 in IAP of my freshman year. Now, 5.301 –Organic Chemistry Lab – went from 10am-5pm every weekday. Roughly every three days would be a module-equivalent, from identifying the mystery chemicals behind banana and peach scents to optimizing crystal growth. While 5.301 was incredibly informative, it was also incredibly exhausting; it just felt like I was constantly being bombarded with information (that I knew I would not retain). So… coming into 20.109, I *expected* my experience to be much of the same – being pelted with experiments, with knowledge that would be useless in the scheme of my MIT experience. To top it off, I had heard from friends who’d already taken the class that it would also be a tremendous amount of work, and that time management was key.  


I was wrong. Very, very wrong. And I couldn’t be happier about it.

20.109 is probably one of my favorite classes that I’ve taken at MIT thus far (spoiler alert: it means I liked it). It was so, so, so far from the way 5.301 was structured. Every bit of information had context, every module and experiment had relevance, every instructor/professor was enthusiastic. These made the experience all the more enjoyable, and truly gave me a glimpse into the inner workings of Course 20, and the creativity and mindset needed to be successful in the field.

The course was “real” science; it represented the experience to which one would be exposed to in an internship or UROP. It was a very good model for scientific reality (although 20.320 would have us believe that all models are wrong…). It also helped gain insight into the collaboration needed to get things to work. Success was directly correlated with group effort – not only the effort of TR Green Team (thanks for an awesome semester, y’all!), but the combined effort of Leslie, Emily, Maxine, Noreen, the rest of the 20.109 groups, and Profs. Engelward and Belcher. In the words of Isaac Newton (side note: Maxine showed us that the long-distant relative of the apple tree that dropped an apple on the genius’ head is at MIT!):

If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Thank you, 20.109, for a truly incredible experience this semester. Perhaps this is cliché, but every day in the class was filled with small, new discoveries, with hilarity, with collaboration.

See everyone in 20.309!

-Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment