Wednesday, December 14, 2016

when nothing worked (again)

It was really cool doing a module that was so different from the previous 2 modules. I had no idea you could use viruses to make batteries!

(this is what I found when I searched for a "mind blown" picture)

On a random note, this mod also made me nostalgic because I used TEM in my freshman year UROP. Oh how quickly time flies...

Mod 3 went by so quickly! This time around I hoped that we would have a successful product, but alas we did not :'( I remember looking at our nanowires with TEM and seeing amorphous blobs that we desperately hoped were iron phosphate but was (possibly) a huge blob of chlorine.... oops. And somehow our batteries (w/ AuNP) had incredibly low capacities. Not only did my battery have a capacity lower than 1% of the theoretical (lol), it had a lower capacity than Jifa's controls without AuNP........

BUT HEY, our battery at least lit up the LED!!!!! I was so nervous that it wouldn't and my team would be the first 20.109 team ever to have a completely nonfunctional battery @_@

Anyways, HUGE props to Jifa for being a battery wizard and helping us out so much. From rolling out our active material to working in the glove box, this mod would not have gone even half as smoothly without him. Also many many thanks to Prof Belcher and the rest of the 20.109 staff for being so supportive!

No comments:

Post a Comment