Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Biology doesn't need Optimization

The idea of making batteries in 20.109 intrigued me at first, and after a couple of days in lab, I felt truly inspired, at least a little. 
Image result for inspiration gif
I didn't have a lot of time to be in awe of the phages though because the research proposal took so much time. That made me sad, as Angie's applications of biology intrigued me a ton, and led to the title of this post: Biology doesn't need optimization.
Image result for it's perfect gif
I'm sort of growing more into the biological engineering mode of seeing what biology can do for us, not in a super-controlling way but as a way of making the life we have more sustainable, or efficient (or just cool, but that's probably not the strongest theme off which to publish a paper). As much as it felt meh to leave a lot of the technical things to Jifa's magic, I'm happy to leave with a battery that can light a purple LED for a short time and some confidence that my ideas could grow into life-long research one day.
Image result for alice in wonderland growth gif
Speaking of research, the proposal was much less mind-wracking than the journal club presentation, but I still struggled a little. Narrowing down an idea for a proposal, then the research, and the convincing story of why the research is necessary is, at simplest, difficult. I appreciated the difficulty, especially since I will likely enter academia, but I wish I understood more what our constraints (related to 20.109) meant so that the early homework in the module was more effective for our group.

Eventually, we made it though, and with a battery! As it discharges, the green light fades and we are farther from our experiences here in 20.109...
Image result for green light gif
(The green light from the Great Gatsby in all of it's symbolic finality)

1 comment:

  1. We are urgently in need of kidney donors for the sum of $409,000.00, Contact us now on email for more details.(WHATS APP MESSAGE ONLY +917411484388 PHONE CALL;+919739098941 drrichard803@gmail.com We are located in India Dr. Richard D

    ReplyDelete