Wednesday, December 14, 2016

That Moment When Both the Literal and Figurative Lightbulbs Go Off

Mod 3 introduced me to a new area of bioengineering that I hadn't thought of before.  It's amazing to me that bioengineering and electrical engineering, two things that seem completely different, would be able to overlap.  It was so cool to learn that phage, something I had learned so much about in a biological context would be able to cross over to making a battery.


Although the ideas behind this module were very interesting, I also found the hardest to grasp.  I think that because making a phage battery was so far outside what I had thought was bioengineering, I had a bit of a difficult time understanding how everything worked.


Even though it took me a while to fully understand what was going on, it was so satisfying to see our little batteries light up LEDs.  In this moment both the literal and figurative light bulb went off.  I was so proud of our little batteries and the fact that I actually understood how something that had seemed abstract finally made sense.

Overall, I really enjoyed Mod 3 and I'm glad that it opened my eyes to new avenues and ways of being a bioengineer.

No comments:

Post a Comment