Friday, December 9, 2016

All the love for Mod3

Dear 109 Staff,

I have to say Mod3 has been my favorite in many aspects. First of all the work we've done is just purely awesome. Telling my friends and family we've been working on making a virus-based battery makes me so proud to be an MIT biological engineering student. It's also the first time I've worked on any sort of electrical engineering project in any real capacity (hah), which I'm really happy to say I've enjoyed a lot. Working through the biology and chemistry to design a physical product or system that has real use in the world is pretty amazing, and what I've come to learn is that is exactly what bioengineering is. 



I also need to confess my love and admiration for transmission electron microscopy. I first used TEM when I was in high school to look at algae cells, so it had been a good five years since I got the chance to see something that close and personal. For some reason I am so drawn in by this specific imaging technique. The fact that we're able to see matter at such extreme magnifications is so remarkable, and it helped make this Mod so memorable for me. 

And although frustrating at times, I really found the research proposal assignment to be incredibly rewarding. It's not often in school a student is asked 'what do you really care about?'. That's exactly what this assignment is all about. It gave Julia and I the opportunity to figure out how we could apply the molecular bio principles we've discussed in this class to a potential real-world application. It's that sort of exercise that will help me so much down the road should I pursue a new biotech venture or independent research. 

I think Mod3 was a beautiful culmination of the work we've done this semester. Besides tackling an engineering project that is downright amazing, we challenged ourselves to think about how bioengineering can have a tangible impact on the world. Every single group has a different project, a different story to tell. Every single one of us is a more informed engineer for having put in the time to figure out why we love this discipline. Thank you for giving us this opportunity!


 -- David


How I feel when I think of an idea that (1) has cool implications, (2) seems like it'll work...


No comments:

Post a Comment